Donor Advised Funds
Harness the Giving Power of a Private Foundation—Without the Complexity
Are you looking for an easy, cost-effective way to support Feeding America and other causes you care about? A donor advised fund may be the right option for you.
Here's how it works: You transfer cash or other assets to a tax-exempt sponsoring organization such as a public foundation. You can then recommend—but not direct—how much and how often money is granted to Feeding America and other qualified organizations.
In return, you qualify for a federal income tax charitable deduction at the time you contribute to the account. This also allows for a centralized giving and record-keeping system in one location, and you avoid the cost and complexities of managing a private foundation.
Best of all? You can start a family tradition of giving by letting your children help decide what grant to recommend.
Support What Matters
Learn more about donor advised funds. View and download the FREE guide One-Stop Giving: The Convenience and Simplicity of Donor Advised Funds.View My Guide
An Example of How It Works
Joe and Laura realize they're fortunate and want to give back by putting their money where it will do the most good. They start by establishing a $25,000 donor advised fund with a community foundation.
The couple receives a federal income tax charitable deduction for the amount of the gift. They also get all the time they need to decide which charities to support.
After researching community needs with the foundation’s staff and discovering that thousands of people in their community struggle with hunger—and millions struggle nationwide—Joe and Laura recommend grants for Feeding America and the Animal Rescue League. The foundation presents the charities with checks from the Megan Fund, which Joe and Laura named in honor of their daughter. Joe and Laura are delighted to start this personal legacy of giving.
- Evaluate a sponsoring organization to make sure it supports your interests, values and the type of asset you are considering as a funding source.
- Get to know the organization's policies and procedures-from minimum contributions to administrative fees. Each organization handles these details differently.
- Contact Jessica Noe at 800-771-2303, Ext. 5593 or email@example.com to discuss using donor advised funds to support Feeding America and our mission.
- Seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor.
- If you include Feeding America in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID.
Legal Name: Feeding America
Address: 161 N. Clark Street, Suite 700, Chicago, IL 60601
Federal Tax ID Number: 36-3673599